At the China International Machine Tool show (CIMT) that takes place from the 20th to the 25th of April at the New China International Exhibition Centre (NCIEC) in Beijing, the EMAG Group will – on stand W1-324 in Hall W1 – be presenting exciting new developments in the machining sector. For example, the exhibited machines of the VL series – with integrated pick-up automation and easy to link up to other machines – make ideal manufacturing systems for chucked components, optimally suited for the use in production lines for medium and large component batches.
The VL series consists of vertical pick-up turning machines for the medium and large batch manufacture of chucked components with a max diameter of 400 mm and forms part of the highly successful modular machine concept that EMAG first introduced in 2013.
The special features of the modular machine concept include a uniform basic machine construction that always includes integrated pick-up automation. This distinctive characteristic of the modular machine, where the pick-up spindle loads and unloads the workpieces from an also integrated parts conveyor, forms the basis for the outstanding performance of the VL series.
The different types of automation
As indicated by the expression „modular“, the machines of the VL series can be customised to suit a variety of manufacturing scenarios. Besides the machining technologies that can be applied, this also refers to the automation systems used for the component transport. At the CIMT in Beijing EMAG will present two VL 2 machines interlinked by means of a turnover unit. This allows for chucked components to be complete-machined in just two setups. After the first VL 2 has pre-machined the component in a first setup, the workpiece is turned and transported to the second VL 2, where it is finish-machined in a second setup.
Integration into production lines
When the EMAG engineers developed their type of modular machines, including those of the VL series, their focus was firmly on the high-productivity manufacture of medium and large component batches. It should therefore come as no surprise that the machines of the VL series are all fully prepared for the link-up of a number of them, to be integrated into production lines. The small footprint of these vertical machines and the unchanging transfer height of the workpieces make planning the automation system components child’s play – compared to horizontal machines.
Corner stones of the manufacturing solution
- Low-manpower production
- Turnover and transport units handle the components between machines
- Economic raw-part supply in pallet cages at the start of the production line
- U-automation provides large component buffer
The advantages of the VL 2
- An uncomplicated automation concept ensures top machine availability
- Integrated automation, automatic workpiece changes
- Short travels for machining and loading, resulting in short cycle times
- The machine base in polymer concrete MINERALIT® provides a high degree of stability and has outstanding
- vibration damping qualities
- Ideal chip flow conditions
- Small footprint
- Exceptionally easy access to machining area and service units
- Uncomplicated tool changes
- Integrated component measuring (optional)
- Optional Y-axis